Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My 1st Birthday Cake

This was the first birthday cake that i made in Dec 2011 since i started my baking adventure in Nov.  It was my smallest lover’s birthday and I wanted to make a birthday cake for her. 

It was indeed a challenge for me to make a birthday cake from scratch having not much knowledge and experience on baking.  As for a birthday cake, beside the taste, the look is also equally important and I can’t afford any failure in this birthday cake baking.  It's too expensive for me to fail both in terms of the time and ingredients it took to make this cake.  As a mom taking care of two little ones at aged of 4+ & 1+, I really don’t have the luxury of time to have any trial & error.  So, I told myself I need to make this right at the 1st time of baking and I pray hard for that.

I guess it was the power of mother’s love to daughter, I’m pretty satisfy with my 1st birthday cake and my hubby was impressed with what I come out with on my 1st attempt of birthday cake making when he was home from work that day.  J 


My 1st home made birthday cake


The cake base is vanilla layer cake with pink colour frosting and decorated it with some strawberry & M&M candy.  The birthday girl liked it so much and all the effort in preparing the cake was well worth it!

Bday girl can't wait & help herself with the cake...haha
Happy Bday, Sweetheart!
 
  




















My 4+ lover was excited with the cake and told me that she also wanted a pink cake filled with candy just like a candyland princess feel on her birthday. J  But soon later, she has fallen in love with Rapunzel and I actually made a Rapunzel birthday cake for her on her birthday instead (as in my other post on Home Made Rapunzel Birthday cake).   

Ingredients:
For the cake:
·                5 eggs white 
·                300ml shifted all purpose flour
·                300ml white sugar
·                170g soften unsalted butter
·                1 TBSP & 1 tsp baking powder
·                1/4 tsp salt
·                2 tsp vanilla extract
·                240ml milk (devide 60ml & 180ml each in two separate bowls) AND
·                the most important ingredients: Good Wishes LOVEJ

For the frosting:
·        115ml confectioners sugar/powdered sugar
·        113g soften unsalted butter
·        ½ tsp vanilla extract
·        2 TBSP milk
·        Pink gel paste food coloring

For cake deco:
·        Strawberries
·        M&M candy & Peanut M&M candy
·        Raisin & cashew nut

 
Steps:
1.     Spray two 8” round cake baking pan with non-stick vegetable spray & set aside
2.     Preheat oven to 350F/180C
3.     Whisk together the egg whites, 60ml milk & vanilla extract in a bowl & set aside
4.     Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder & salt) in another   bowl with my electronic mixer until all blended, then add the butter and remaining 180ml mil and continue mixing till the dry ingredients are moistened, then continue beating in medium speed for ‘bout 2mins
5.     Gradually add the egg mixture from step 3 in three addition to the dry ingredients, beat well after each addition until fully incorporated
6.     Then transfer it to the baking pan and bake for 30mins 
7.     If a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, the cake is bake well and can be removed from the oven.  Let the cakes cool completely on a wire rack prior to frosting

Start to prepare the frosting while waiting for the cakes cook.  To prepare for the
frosting:

1.     Beat the butter until smooth
2.     Beat in the vanilla extract
3.     Gradually beat in the sugar
4.     Add the milk and beat to combine
5.     Then, beat frosting until light & fluffy on high speed

No comments:

Post a Comment